January 4, 2010

Does your home owners insurance cover your dog

In my last post I talked about the difficulties in obtaining home owners insurance when you own a "dangerous" breed of dog. In that post I was just concerned with getting home owners insurance to cover the house but what about your dog? Does your home owners insurance cover you should your dog get out and either cause an accident, damage property or injure someone? Mine does. In fact it is something you should ask about when you get an insurance quote. Most insurance companies that have a large number of rural customers have that type of an insurance rider on their policies. I know that Farmers Insurance company has that type of policy at no extra charge but other companies charge extra. It is well worth looking into.

2 comments:

Kaitlin Jenkins said...

I think its terrible to discriminate against a person or a dog just because of his breed. If anything insurance companies should come out and meet a dog deemed "dangerous" by his breed alone and take it on a case by case basis. Also- just as a note, some car insurance companies like Progressive offer pet insurance coverage for your pet when riding in the car.

Jan said...

Progressive is not the only car insurance company that offers pet coverage. I have had Farmers for 5 years now and the car insurance policy covers any pet that is injured while traveling with me in the car. The coverage does not cost me any extra, it is included in the regular policy. They, Farmers just doesn't advertise it as much as progressive does.