November 1, 2010

Traveling the dog show circuit


Have you ever been to a dog show? I have been to several in the past 20 years. At first it was to show one of my pups and later just as a spectator. Unless they were local shows I did not attend them. I knew several people that would travel thousands of miles between dog shows just to get those precious points towards their dogs' championship title.

As a spectator at those later dog shows and events, I would wander around the kennel areas to view the dogs being prepared. Most of the time it was out in the parking lot were many of the owners of the dogs were being prepared beside their car. The professional dog handlers had trailers and 5th wheelers that had been adapted to house several dogs, a full grooming station and room for them to eat. sleep and carry on a life on the road. Some of those rigs were extremely elaborate. I would hate to see the cost of the 5th wheel insurance on those puppies (pun intended).

I don't I could ever get use to traveling from dog show to dog show for a full time living. I guess I am too much in love with my home life to exchange it for being on the road all the time. More power to those who choose to do that though.

No comments: