February 27, 2009

Watch dogs


I remember years ago when I was small we lived in the poor section of the city. We were renters and my dad was trying to convince the landlord to let us have a "watch dog". Since I was little I thought why would my dad want a dog to wear a Timex or Oakley watches! I didn't make the connection until I was a few years older that he wanted a guard dog for our home. In the course of living in that place we were broken into twice. After the first daytime burglary I never felt the same again.

When I was a teen we moved to a place that allowed pets and at first we didn't have a dog. When I got my first job in an industrial area there was a malnourished dog that me and my co-workers watched as she evaded animal control. She was a very shy black Lab mix and had no hair on parts of her body because she had no decent nourishment for weeks, if not months. I and began to feed her and start to get closer to her.

My dad use to pick me up from work. I had been feeding the dog for about a week but I still could not get close to her. Then one day when I got into the car to go home the dog decided to follow. We lived only a mile from where I worked but it was a busy mile, traffic wise. She followed us over the freeway over pass as my dad drove very slowly. As we got closer to home a pedestrian saw what was happening and got a rope and make shift leash for us. I managed to get the rope on the dog and walk the last few blocks home with her.

As the weeks past and she grew back her shinny coat and gained weight, she became a self appointed guard dog. She protected her new home and her new family. She was my dad's dog after I left the house and got married. It was the guard dog he wanted for all those years.

1 comment:

Ori said...

that's a very funny thought...a dog wears a watch :-D.
She was very lucky to find you and your family, but this Sammy was not as lucky as her.