July 29, 2009

Bathing your dog


I typically only bathe my dogs during the hot months or when one of them has played in the mud in the spring. The rest of the year they just get brushed out and groomed by me. The larger dogs I tie up on the lawn and use dog shampoo and the garden hose, minus a tub.

I see lots of photos showing people washing their dogs outdoors in a tub and I wonder why. It is so much easier to do without a tub. Now if the tub was elevated so you didn't have to bend over then that would be a good idea. They do make wash tubs for dogs that are on stands and some of them are walk in tubs for the larger breeds of dogs so you don't have to lift them up. Those types of tubs are usually for the professional groomer and can cost thousands of dollars.

There was a do it yourself dog grooming place where I use to live 7 years ago. It was called "Wash a dog, doggy" or something like that. They had human bath tubs set up with rings on the wall to tie your dog to while bathing your dog. I think the business closed after 3 years and I can see why. The customers had to sit down or bend over to wash their dog. It was almost the same as washing your dog in the bathtub at home. So why pay $5-10 to use their tubs? They had a good idea but the design was all wrong.

Bathing your dog should be easy, cheap, quick and not physically painful for you or the dog.

No comments: